Enjoy the summer solstice with this Inuit-inspired dish
This arctic char recipe uses maple syrup, garam masala and soya sauce as a marinade
This weekend, Ottawa celebrated the Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival, which included a long table dinner at Vincent Massey Park on Friday.
If you missed the event, no worries. We have one of the dinner's Inuit-inspired recipes — provided by Inuk caterer Trudy Metcalfe-Coe — here for you to make at home.
This dish mixes maple syrup, garam masala and soya sauce as marinade for arctic char.
- 4 arctic char fillets
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbps. soya sauce
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- In a saucepan combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, soya sauce, black pepper and garam masala.
- Reduce over medium heat until one-third of the mixture has been cooked off.
- Let the reduction cool.
- Marinate the arctic char in the reduction for about an hour.
- Coat the arctic char fillets in the sesame seeds.
- Place in oven at 350 F and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.