D is for Dinner: Ethiopian Orthodox Christmas
Mihret Adelahu of the Blue Nile Restaurant shares her kitfo recipe for the 12th day of Christmas
Christmas might be over for many Christians, but for the city's Orthodox celebrants, the festivities are just beginning. Apart from being able to buy gifts at Boxing Day prices, for many, including Ethiopian Orthodox Christians, there's also the payoff of ending a 40-day fast on Jan. 6, their Christmas Eve.
In anticipation, Mihret Adelahu of the Blue Nile Restaurant appeared on All in a Day to share the restaurant's kitfo recipe. You won't believe this flavourful dish has just a few ingredients.
- 500 grams extra lean beef, minced or finely ground.
- 5 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (mitmita).
- 4 tbsp. clarified butter (nitir kebe).
- 3 tsp. cardamom powder (korerima).
- Salt, to taste.
- Melt the clarified butter over medium heat. Add cardamom and cayenne pepper. Then stir in meat. Cook beef until no longer pink.
- Serve with injera, a spongy Ethiopian flatbread, or another flat bread such as pita.