City turns to new federal fund for gallery, Arts Court project
Denied funding by previous government, city asks for $6M through new cultural program
The City of Ottawa will ask for a $6-million federal grant for the Ottawa Art Gallery expansion and Arts Court redevelopment, city council decided Wednesday.
The city will apply for funding through the Canada Cultural Spaces Program announced in last month's federal budget, after the former Conservative government refused to fund the project.
"I dub this the 'squeaky wheel motion,'" said Coun. Diane Deans. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.- Coun. Diane Deans
The Liberal government announced $168 million in its March budget for eligible cultural projects. Because the program will not refund expenses already incurred, any new money would be spent on upgrading or improving the OAG/Arts Court project, which is already underway.
The city was forced to adjust the project when the previous federal government refused the original request for $9 million.
If the $6 million come through, the city could improve the designs, upgrade materials and improve performance spaces to deliver something that looks closer to council's original vision for the gallery and Arts Court, said Dan Chenier, general manager for parks, recreation and cultural services.
The project is supposed to be completed in the second half of 2017.