City paid LRT contractor $4.5M despite claims to the contrary
RTM received payment for September, city now confirms
After weeks of declaring it hadn't paid a penny for LRT maintenance since the glitch-plagued Confederation Line launch, it turns out the City of Ottawa did fork over $4.5 million last fall.
The city was "contractually obligated" to pay Rideau Transit Maintenance (RTM) for the month of September, according to Troy Charter, OC Transpo's director of operations. But that's not what city officials have been saying for months.
Following a transit commission meeting on Nov. 6, OC Transpo boss John Manconi told reporters the city would be holding back funds from RTM for "September and then October."
"Also, the mayor told us we're not paying them until this is rectified," Manconi added at the time.
As recently as mid-January, during a news conference about a downed electrical cable, Charter said: "RTM, I don't believe, has received a monthly payment."
But that turned out to be untrue. On Friday, Charter confirmed an invoice for $4,562,000 was paid to RTM in mid- to late-November, adding "they haven't received a penny since then."
Pay based on performance
RTM, an extension of Rideau Transit Group, the consortium that built the $2.1-billion Confederation Line, is responsible for keeping it in good working order for 30 years, a contract worth $1 billion over its decades-long lifespan.
The city pays RTM month by month, but there are certain performance measures the company needs to meet to be paid in full; for example, the trains must travel a minimum number of kilometres.
Because the Confederation Line has experienced a litany of delays, shortages and service interruptions, the city maintained RTM hadn't been paid since the system opened its doors to the public in mid-September.
But what hasn't been known until now is that the contract compelled the city to pay RTM for that first month, no matter what. Any issues that arise are to result in deductions in subsequent months.
Asked why the city didn't appear to understand this, or at least failed to clearly convey this detail to the public, Charter said: "We have been following all the requirements under the [project agreement] and we're leveraging everything we can to make sure that they are providing that reliable service that our customers expect."
- Subsequent to the publication of this story, city manager Steve Kanellakos released a memo indicating that John Manconi, general manager of transportation services, on Dec. 3 told a group of reporters that the city had made a payment to RTM for the "tail-end of September." In preparation for this story, CBC corresponded with the city's communications department on Feb. 6 and 7 and also interviewed OC Transpo's director of operations, Troy Charter, on Feb. 7. Neither of these official sources indicated that Manconi had made this comment in early December.Feb 10, 2020 4:13 PM ET
To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.
By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.
Become a CBC Account Holder
Join the conversation Create account
Already have an account?