Carleton student banned from campus due to sexual assault charges
Man, 26, charged with 3 counts of sex assault
A 26-year-old Ottawa man has been banned from the Carleton University campus after he was charged with three counts of sexual assault.
A woman who works at the university reported to police Thursday that she had been inappropriately touched by a man in an elevator.
Police investigated and identified two additional alleged victims from separate incidents involving the same man. All three incidents involved women who worked at the university and the incidents happened in March and September.
The accused is a student at the university, according to police, and he has no previous criminal record.
"The ban is effective immediately," the university said in a media release issued Friday.
"Carleton University takes the safety of its students, faculty and staff very seriously and implemented the ban the day after charges were laid. The university has in place a number of robust measures to ensure the campus community is protected."
Police sources told CBC News one of the alleged victims pointed the accused out to Carleton security staff, who chased him down and held him until police arrived.
He appeared in court Friday and was released with a promise to return on Sept. 23.
Police are asking anyone with information to contact the sexual assault/child abuse Unit at 613-236-1222, ext. 5944 or phone Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS) or toll-free at 1-800-222-8477.