Bystanders help douse Parkdale church fire

Two men used their morning coffees and a fire extinguisher before Ottawa firefighters knocked down a fire that began in the entrance of Parkdale United Church this morning.

Fire believed to be caused by electrical issue

These two men (from left to right), Ryan Pearson and Steven Brombach, used coffee, soft drinks, a wet rag and a fire extinguisher to attack a fire at a Hintonburg church. (Kristy Nease/CBC)

Two bystanders used their morning coffees and a fire extinguisher to help firefighters douse a fire that broke out in the entrance of Parkdale United Church, just west of downtown Ottawa.

Ottawa fire spokesman Marc Messier said a passerby called reporting flames coming from the church at about 7:48 a.m.

Then Steven Bromback and Ryan Pearson slowed down the flames after seeing them while passing in a vehicle.

When crews arrived, they removed the entire door frame and broke away some of the bricks around the frame to ensure the fire did not spread to the walls.

The building, originally built in 1931 at Parkdale and Gladstone avenues, was salvaged with little smoke damage inside and no injuries reported.

There was some water damage around the front door with a total damage estimate of $20,000. The cause is believed to be electrical.

Parkdale and Gladstone were both closed for a time but have since reopened.