Bystanders help douse Parkdale church fire
Fire believed to be caused by electrical issue
Two bystanders used their morning coffees and a fire extinguisher to help firefighters douse a fire that broke out in the entrance of Parkdale United Church, just west of downtown Ottawa.
Ottawa fire spokesman Marc Messier said a passerby called reporting flames coming from the church at about 7:48 a.m.
Then Steven Bromback and Ryan Pearson slowed down the flames after seeing them while passing in a vehicle.
When crews arrived, they removed the entire door frame and broke away some of the bricks around the frame to ensure the fire did not spread to the walls.
The building, originally built in 1931 at Parkdale and Gladstone avenues, was salvaged with little smoke damage inside and no injuries reported.
There was some water damage around the front door with a total damage estimate of $20,000. The cause is believed to be electrical.
Parkdale and Gladstone were both closed for a time but have since reopened.