Brazilian-inspired holiday desserts on D is for Dinner
Guil Fernandes owns online bakery Delightful Tastes
Guil Fernandes grew up around delicious baked goods in his native Brazil, where his mother ran a small bakery.
When he came to Ottawa, Fernandes honed his culinary skills at Algonquin College and opened Delightful Tastes, a nut-free, online-only baked goods store.
Today on D is for Dinner, Fernandes shares two holiday recipes: a coconut confection inspired by the flavours of his homeland, and a traditional North American Christmas staple.
Coconut White Chocolate Candy Cups
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk.
- 1 c. grated coconut.
- ½ c. coconut milk.
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter.
- 1 package (11.5 oz) white chocolate chips.
- 12 minature muffin cup liners.
- Over medium-low heat, vigorously stir the sweetened condensed milk, coconut, coconut milk and butter until it thickens enough that you see the bottom of the pan while stirring.
- Pour the mixture into a greased dish and let cool to room temperature.
- Place half the white chocolate chips in a microwave-friendly container and microwave three times for 35 seconds each, stirring after each session in the microwave.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the muffin cups, filling each halfway.
- Using a spoon, draw the chocolate up the sides of the cups until they're evenly coated.
- Cool in the refrigerator until firm.
- Once firm, divide the coconut mixture into the chocolate cups.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave and spoon over the coconut mixture, spreading the chocolate to the cups' edges.
Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- 2 - 12 oz. packages milk chocolate chips.
- 2 - 12 oz. packages white chocolate chips.
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract.
- 8 peppermint candy canes, crushed.
- Line a 12-by-18 inch pan with aluminum foil.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips in a microwave-friendly glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, for one to five minutes. The precise time depends on your microwave; do not overheat or your chocolate will scorch.
- Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Spread the chocolate evenly on the prepared pan and chill until set (about 30 minutes).
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the same way you melted the milk chocolate chips.
- Stir in ¼ c. crushed candy canes.
- Spread the white chocolate mixture over the set milk chocolate.
- Sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces evenly over the white chocolate layer.
- Chill until set (about one hour) and then break into small pieces and serve.