Bear spotted near Gatineau Hospital returns to the woods
A bear spotted near the Gatineau Hospital Wednesday morning has since made its way back into the woods, police say.
The black bear was first seen wandering rue Jules Bordet, between boulevards la Verendrye and Mont-Royal, at about 7:20 a.m.
Nearby residents were asked to stay inside while wildlife officials worked to deal with the bear.
They managed to direct the black bear back into the woods later Wednesday morning, and said the animal hasn't reappeared since.
There was no impact on traffic in the area.
Gatineau police say bears are not commonly seen in the city.
What to do if you see a bear
- Stay calm and do not run.
- Retreat slowly while keeping the bear in view.
- Observe the bear and wait for it to leave.
- If it doesn't leave, wave your arms and make a noise.
- If you are near a building or a vehicle, go inside as a precaution.
- Make food sources (garbage, bird feeders, etc) inaccessible.