Ottawa

Barbecue tank shoots flames, starts fire in Stittsville neighbourhood

A barbecue's propane tank "vented" on Sunday evening, shooting flames that started a fire at a home in Stittsville. Some people thought it had been an explosion.

A barbecue's propane tank "vented" on Sunday evening, shooting flames that started a fire at a home in the west Ottawa neighbourhood of Stittsville.

Several people called 911 at 5:30 p.m. to report hearing an explosion at 237 Burnaby Dr., near Huntmar Drive and Hazeldean Road.

But the tank didn't actually explode — it vented —  which is a safety feature on the valves of tanks that limits the exposure to a short burst of fire instead of a constant stream of flames.

When fire crews arrived a fire was burning between the patio and the fence, firefighters said.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to get the flames under control. The fire was contained to the yard.

One person at the home suffered burns on their arm and leg and the patient was taken to hospital by paramedics.

Corrections

  • An earlier version of this story stated that the propane tank exploded. In fact the tank "vented," which is a safety feature on the valves of tanks. Residents thought there had been an explosion, but there wasn't.
    May 30, 2016 8:36 AM ET

now