Yarmouth diocese settles more abuse cases
Bishop's residence, bowling alley to be sold
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Yarmouth has settled five more cases of sexual abuse from the 1950s and 1960s.
The cases went through a mediation process last week in London, Ont. The victims of Adolphe LeBlanc and Eddie Theriault, two priests in southwest Nova Scotia at the time, will share a compensation deal of about $1 million.
Fourteen of 22 sex abuse cases have been settled, with payments totalling more than $2.6 million, the diocese said in a statement Wednesday.
In January, about $1.5 million went to six victims who were between the ages of three and 15 when they were abused by LeBlanc and Theriault. Both priests are now dead.
The diocese said it has borrowed money to make the payments, but expects to have enough in savings to cover the interest and some of the capital.
The bishop's residence, bowling alley and other non-essential properties will be sold to raise the rest of the money.
"If this plan works, it will be possible to protect the parish churches, halls and cemetery funds," spokeswoman Marilyn Sweet said in the statement.
Eight other sex abuse claims are pending.
The Archdiocese of Halifax has promised to pay $605,000, since two cases occurred before the Yarmouth diocese was formed in 1953.
The Yarmouth diocese said more than $500,000 has already been paid in legal fees.