Nova Scotia

Upper Tantallon fire extinguished after oxyacetylene tank caught fire

Emergency crews have extinguished a fire after an oxyacetylene tank caught fire at building on St. Margarets Bay Road in Upper Tantallon this evening.

Traffic on St. Margarets Bay Road should be returning to normal

The oxyacetylene tank was on fire near this building on St. Margaret's Bay Road. (Brett Ruskin/CBC)

Emergency crews have extinguished a fire after an oxyacetylene tank caught fire at building on St. Margarets Bay Road in Upper Tantallon this evening.

"What our crews were presented with was an oxyacetylene tanks that was venting fire," said Corey Beals, division commander for Halifax Fire and Emergency.

"The crews took a defensive stance, which basically means they were spraying water from a safe distance to cool the tank to prevent the tank from exploding,"  

Oxyacetylene is typically used for welding purposes.

St. Margaret's Bay Road had been shut down in both directions, however traffic should now be back to normal.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now