The Chronicle Herald's locked out press operators reach tentative deal
The paper says workers could return to work as soon as Monday
Thirteen press operators the Maritimes largest newspaper locked out last month have reached a tentative deal, according to the paper.
In a news release Friday, the paper said the tentative deal was reached Thursday evening.
"Herald President and CEO Mark Lever stated that he was pleased with the outcome which provided significant long term cost savings for the company while maintaining current compensation levels for the term of the agreement," the statement read.
However, the Halifax Typographical Union (HTU), which represents the workers, uses different language.
"I can confirm that we are on the cusp of a tentative agreement. We have not yet seen the offer in writing but expect to sometime this afternoon," says Ingrid Bulmer, HTU's local president.
Martin O'Hanlon, HTU's national president, says the deal still includes the four-year pay freeze as well as the loss of press room workers's early retirement option.
The vote on the tentative agreement is expected to happen over the weekend, says the paper.
The paper says the workers could return to work as soon as Monday.
HTU says management announced the lockout Feb. 22, shortly after members agreed to negotiate monetary concessions.
The newspaper issued a release Feb. 21 saying it did not seek a cut in pay or benefits for the employees, describing them as "the highest in the region at a minimum of $66,000 a year."
Last fall, the Chronicle Herald eliminated 17 jobs in the newsroom.