Nova Scotia

Police seek suspect after 3 injured in Cape Breton shooting

Three people were taken to CBRM hospitals with gunshot wounds early Sunday morning following a shooting in Sydney Mines. The incident caused heightened security and visitor restrictions at emergency rooms in Sydney and Glace Bay.

3 people taken to hospital Sunday morning following shooting in Sydney Mines

There was heightened security and visitors restrictions in emergency rooms at the Glace Bay Hospital and Cape Breton Regional Hospital after a shooting in the area early this morning. (Tom Ayers/CBC)

There was heightened security and visitors were restricted in two hospital emergency rooms in Cape Breton Regional Municipality following a shooting in Sydney Mines early this morning.

Cape Breton Regional Police went to a Barrington Street residence at 6 a.m. where they found two men, ages 28 and 41, suffering from gunshot wounds, according to a police news release.

Both men were taken to Cape Breton Regional Hospital for treatment. The 28-year-old has been released and the 41-year-old is expected to recover from his injuries.

Shortly after responding to the first call, police were called to another apartment at the same Barrington Street address where they discovered a third shooting victim, a 21-year-old woman.

The woman was taken to Glace Bay Hospital for treatment of injuries not considered to be life threatening, the police release said.

Police are looking for the shooter who was identified by the victims.

The safety restrictions were lifted at Cape Breton Regional Hospital's emergency room by 1 p.m. Sunday. (Robert Short/CBC)

"Major Crime investigators have confirmed the victims know the shooter, and additional resources are in place to assist in locating the suspect. Police are treating this as an isolated incident among parties all known to each other and do not believe any other individuals are at risk," the release states.

The incident resulted in access restrictions at Cape Breton Regional Hospital in Sydney and Glace Bay Hospital, said Wendy Walters, a spokesperson for the Nova Scotia Health Authority.

"Currently, we do have two departments in access control due to an incident in the community earlier today. It is for the safety of patients and visitors," she said Sunday morning.

The restriction was lifted at about 1 p.m. at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, she said, and shortly before 3 p.m. in Glace Bay.

Other patients were still being treated at both emergency room facilities during the time the policy was in effect, Walters said.

Security was also heightened at both sites.