Stevenson shooting investigation continues
A forensic team dug up a grassy bank in front of the house on Jarvis Lane on Tuesday morning. Investigators sifted the soil and passed a metal detector over the mounds of dirt.
Victims of homicides in Halifax region in 2010:
- Nathaniel Welsh, 23 — Halifax, January (charges laid)
- Joy Ann Wright, 49 — Middle Sackville, February (charges laid)
- Casey Marleen Downey, 24 — North Preston, February (charges laid)
- Robert Douglas Payne, 48 — Spryfield, February (charges laid)
- Grant William Kidston, 47 — Dartmouth, May (charges laid)
- Ryan White, 21 — Halifax, July (no charges laid)
- Nadine Taylor, 29 — reported missing in July (no charges laid)
- Donald Jermaine Stevenson, 21 — Halifax, October (no charges laid)
Stevenson, 21, was shot and killed in his home Saturday night.
Halifax Regional Police said a man wearing a skull mask burst inside at about 8 p.m. and shot Stevenson in front of his family.
Jae Thompson, a neighbour, said he's horrified at the recent violence.
"Just anybody getting shot in front of their family, or shot in front of friends … that's an awful thing," he said.
"Bullets don't have no names on it. A stray bullet can hit a child that's four or five."
Police said Stevenson's shooter ran across Duffus Street onto Dartmouth Avenue, and escaped in a silver SUV.
Amy Redding, a resident of the Mulgrave Park apartment buildings where Stevenson was murdered, said unrest is growing in the neighbourhood.
"Somebody in the community said that there was a murder and it was like, 'Oh great. Not another one,'" she told CBC News. "It's just ridiculous. It's just stupid."
This is the second fatal shooting on Jarvis Lane in three months. Police are still looking for the person who shot Ryan White, also 21, in July.
Police said both White and Stevenson were targeted.
Stevenson's death is the eighth homicide in the Halifax region this year.