Nova Scotia

Shelburne County family homeless after fire

A Shelburne County couple and their 17-month-old baby are temporarily homeless after a fire late Tuesday gutted their home in Lower Sandy Point.

A Shelburne County couple and their 17-month-old baby are temporarily homeless after a fire late Tuesday gutted their home in Lower Sandy Point.

The family, who lived at 2111 Sandy Point Road, was not home at the time but lost their belongings and several pets, said the Canadian Red Cross.

They're staying with relatives for now and the Canadian Red Cross has given them clothing, food and infant supplies.

"I actually heard sirens and I thought it was on my TV and when I happened to look out my bedroom window, I just saw flames coming out of the house," said Amanda Manthoren, who lives next door to the affected house.

"The windows are all smashed out, there's no doors, the roof is caved in and the whole back end is totally burned."

She said the family lost their dog and their cat in the fire.

"I hope that everybody can just pitch in and help them get started again," said Manthoren.

"I know what it's like to have a house fire because 23 years ago, we lost our house just before Christmas so I know the feeling."

now