Sauna suspected cause of Halifax house fire
A couple in their 60s are homeless after a fire broke out in their basement Thursday afternoon on Parkdale Avenue.
The CBC's Shaina Luck says the man told fire crews he started up a propane-powered sauna in the basement. Shortly after, the fire began. Fire crews are still investigating, but Luck says they suggest the sauna may have been connected to the fire.
The man and the woman made it out of the house without injury. They were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
The home is a total loss.
Two cats were rescued, but several other pets did not make it out of the house.