Peggys Cove tourist safety meeting held
Two tourists have been swept out to sea at the iconic attraction this year
The first meeting to discuss tourist safety at Peggys Cove was held Wednesday, and included a small group of stakeholders and representatives from the provincial and federal governments.
Two tourists have been swept out to sea at the iconic attraction this year. Jamie Quattrocchi, 25, died in April and a another man was rescued last week.
The incidents have prompted some to ask for more safety precautions, including fences and more signage.
Tourism Minister Mark Furey says the meeting was a good first conversation.
"We talked about the history of incidents at Peggys Cove." he said. "Talked about the layout of the property and the challenges that individuals face as well as the individual experiences of what people have witnessed at Peggys Cove."
The minister says he hopes to have a second meeting within the next two weeks.
"We want to balance public safety with public access to Peggys Cove. It's the most visited tourist attraction in the province. People value the experience, " Furey said.
"We want to make sure that experience has a high level of public safety."