Paul Palmeter

Reporter

Paul Palmeter is an award-winning video journalist born and raised in the Annapolis Valley. He has covered news and sports stories across the province for 30 years.

Latest from Paul Palmeter

New pool, repaired sports dome for East Hants to be up and running this summer

People who live in the municipality of East Hants are going to have to wait a little bit longer before they’ll be able to use the new pool in their area. The same can be said for the damaged sports dome at the East Hants Sportsplex.

Dry weather drains wells, and water haulers scramble to fill them all

It’s been a month without any significant rainfall in Nova Scotia. Wells in parts of the province have little water, farmers are hoping for rain and forests are critically dry.

St. FX to use mixture of online, in-person classes for fall semester

St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, N.S., will be offering its fall courses through a combination of online learning and on-campus classes. It is expected 73 per cent of classes will be taught in person, while the remaining 27 per cent will be online.

The internet is so bad in this community some people drive to Zoom meetings

The Covid-19 pandemic is highlighting the need for better internet access for residents of the Musquodoboit Valley. Located in a rural section of Halifax Regional Municipality that is in the center of Nova Scotia, it’s been almost impossible for residents to work from home and their kids do their schooling online.

North Preston's Niara Smith making waves in swimming

Twelve-year-old Niara Smith's first feat was to break a record that had been sitting on the books at the Dartmouth Crusaders swim club since the 1990s. She's been breaking records since.

2020 Digby Wharf Rat Rally cancelled due to COVID-19

The 2020 Digby Wharf Rat Rally is the latest event to become a victim of COVID-19. For 15 years, motorcyclists have come to Digby, N.S., in early September for the event, which has become one of the largest motorcycle rallies in Canada.

Baseball to return to Nova Scotia ball diamonds under strict conditions

Baseball players in Nova Scotia have been given the green light to return to the ball diamond June 15, but with many conditions. Baseball Nova Scotia submitted a return to play document and phase one of it, a return to training, has been approved.
Video

Atlantic University Sport cancels fall season

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the cancellation of the Atlantic University Sport fall sports schedule. The decision means there will be no winner of the Vanier Cup.

Soccer Nova Scotia pulls the plug on 2020 season

There won't be any sanctioned soccer competition this summer in the province, including exhibition games, league games, tournaments and provincial championships.
Special Report

Berry producers face potential losses due to COVID-19 issues

One Nova Scotia farmer says he’ll be looking at big losses this summer, as the COVID-19 pandemic delayed the seasonal foreign workers he needs at a critical time in his harvest.

B.J. Marriott denied bail in jail beating case

A man with a long criminal history charged in connection with a serious beating in a Nova Scotia jail has been denied bail and will remain in custody.
Video

Some Lake Echo residents try locking green bins to keep bears away

Locks are being installed on some green bins in Lake Echo, N.S., in an effort to deter bears. The trial program is being run in Mountainview Estates trailer park.

Nova Scotia goalie looking forward to pro hockey debut

Carly Jackson has just finished her final year of college hockey playing for the University of Maine. She was the third player selected in the recent NWHL draft, when her name was called by the Buffalo Beauts.

Queens County family's Nova Scotia Strong wooden flower project blossoms

A Nova Scotia family making wooden flowers that resemble the provincial flag are seeing huge demand for their product. "Every morning I wake up and there are more people who want these flowers," said James Grant.

Pictou County first responders read bedtime stories for kids

A new Facebook group is showing the lighter side of first responders in Pictou County.

now