Nova Scotia

Nova Scotians pause to reflect on 2nd anniversary of mass shooting

April 18 and 19 mark two years since a gunman, at times dressed as a police officer, killed neighbours and strangers during a 13-hour rampage.

Province to make April 18 and 19 official days of remembrance starting in 2023

Dozens of people showed up to the memorial in Portapique on Sunday, April 26, 2020. (Olivier Lefebvre/CBC)

Nova Scotians will come together Monday and Tuesday to mark the second anniversary of the province's mass shooting in moments of quiet reflection for the 22 victims and all those affected by the tragedy.

April 18 and 19 mark two years since a gunman, at times dressed as a police officer, killed neighbours and strangers in a span of 13 hours as he drove across the province.

Premier Tim Houston has said this will be the last year these days won't have an official designation. The province will formally establish April 18 and 19 as days of remembrance with legislation to be introduced later this year.

"It's important that government recognize and send the message to people that we are Nova Scotia strong, we are together. Not just this year, but all years going forward in the future," Houston told reporters at Province House last Thursday.

"I think it's just important that we never lose sight of what happened."

Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston speaks to reporters at Province House last November. (Michael Gorman/CBC)

Before introducing that legislation, Houston said the government will consult with the families of the victims to ensure their loved ones are properly remembered.

For Alana Hirtle of the Rotary Club of Truro, the news brings "mixed emotions."

Hirtle chairs the Truro club's Rotary Cares Committee, and the Portapique community building project involving the area's new playground and future hall.

While she said the massacre should never be forgotten, it will also never be easy to mark for anyone involved.

Flags across N.S. to be lowered for 2 days

"I think that perhaps it could be difficult for some to have it every year as a reminder," Hirtle said Thursday.

"But, for others, I expect it will provide some solace. And knowing that they won't be forgotten, that they'll never be forgotten, is important." 

The flags at Province House, and all provincial government buildings and institutions, will be lowered to half-mast from sunrise on Monday until sundown on Tuesday.

Nova Scotians are encouraged to lower their own flags, and pause at noon on both days to observe a moment of silence.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issued a statement on Monday to observe the anniversary.

"I join the people of Nova Scotia and all Canadians to remember those who lost their lives. Our thoughts are with all those who continue to live with the pain, trauma, and heartbreaking loss from these events," he said.

"On behalf of the Government of Canada, I invite all Canadians to remember each of those who lost their lives and stand with all those affected by this attack. To all Nova Scotians, you are in our thoughts and you have our unwavering support. We draw inspiration from your strength and resilience."

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now