Nova Scotia

No clues in case of missing New Glasgow woman

The search for a missing 19-year-old New Glasgow woman continued Tuesday without success.

Friends hope she is found safe

Maggie Chickness said she wishes she had gone with Amber Kirwan, who disappeared after leaving a New Glasgow pool hall. ((CBC))
The search for a missing 19-year-old New Glasgow woman continued Tuesday without success.

Amber Kirwan went missing just after leaving a pool hall early Sunday morning, and her friends are hoping she will be found safe.

It was around 1:30 a.m. Sunday when she said goodbye to her friends and left for a five-minute walk to meet her boyfriend. But she never showed up.

Christy Fiander and Maggie Chickness were with her most of the night.

"And we all just got together, like a casual night, how we normally would when everyone goes home or when people come up," Chickness said. "There's nothing out of the ordinary."

Fiander said she can't believe her friend is missing.

Christy Fiander is hoping her friend is found safe and sound. ((CBC))
"At first, I didn't think it was real. I thought maybe she's just staying with a friend and she was fine," Fiander said.

Chickness said she regrets not accompanying Kirwan that night.

"Just that I really wish that, like, I would have paid attention, like just forced myself to go with her or something," she said.

On Monday, a ground search focused on areas around where Kirwan was last seen, but only the perimeter of abandoned buildings were checked.

"Our ground, search and rescue at team at this point in time are not searching buildings," New Glasgow Police Const. Ken MacDonald said Tuesday.

"That's why we're bringing our canine and our major crime unit to conduct the search of the buildings."

MacDonald said there is no reason for people in the area to fear for their safety. Police are still treating this disappearance as a missing person case, he said.

"Right now, the investigators are outside still combing businesses, talking to individuals that may have seen her last, talking to employees of Dooly's, talking to employees of businesses surrounding Dooly's, every type of avenue is being examined and investigated," MacDonald said.

Her friends are praying that she returns safely.

"She's out there, and she's OK, and she's going to return soon, hopefully," Fiander said.

MacDonald said if the police find nothing in their search of abandoned buildings and properties, they may ask ground search and rescue teams to restart their ground search Wednesday morning.