N.S. pedophile's sentencing delayed
New sex-related charges have delayed the sentencing for a former minor hockey administrator in Sydney, N.S., convicted of sexually assaulting boys.
Kenneth Paul Canning, 49, was found guilty in April of 11 sex-related offences, including sexual assault, sexual interference, indecent exposure and invitation to sexual touching.
The incidents occurred between 1980 and 2009 and involved four complainants, who cannot be identified because of a publication ban.
Canning, who is representing himself, told Justice Peter Ross on Monday that he was not ready for the sentencing hearing because he'd been in jail since Friday night.
A fifth complainant has come forward and Canning was arrested on several new sex-related charges dating back to 1988.
Ross allowed several victim impact statements to be read in court on Monday, including one from one of the victims.
"I wanted him to understand the gravity of what he's done to us. The trust that had been broken over the years. It's just so hard to get those things back," said one victim.
"I think that he needed to hear that today, although he really didn't show any remorse."
The mother of two other victims also read a statement. She said she hopes the case will encourage anyone else who has been abused to come forward.
"I hope our sons' courage could help them do the same. It does make a big difference. It's hard. It's painful but in the long run, it's well worth it," she told CBC News.
Canning is now expected to be sentenced on Tuesday.
He has been released on bail on the new charges and will enter a plea for those on Aug. 15.