Nova Scotia

Landon Webb case handled properly, says Community Services Minister Joanne Bernard

Community Services Minister Joanne Bernard says she has reviewed her department's handling of the Landon Webb case, is "quite satisfied" with it and has no plans to investigate further.

Webb functions at the level of 10 to 12 year-old and has been missing for more than 2 week

Community Services Minister Joanne Bernard says she has no plans to further investigate her department's handling of the Landon Webb case. (CBC)

Community Services Minister Joanne Bernard says she has reviewed her department's handling of the Landon Webb case, is "quite satisfied" with it and has no plans to investigate further.

Webb, who went missing from the Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre in Waterville on Oct. 15, functions at the level of a 10 to 12-year-old and has been declared legally incompetent by the courts.

He also has a number of medical issues including epilepsy, heart disease, asthma and language and anxiety disorders.

His parents, Brenda and Darrell Webb, held an emotional news conference earlier this week, and said they opposed his unsupervised outings into the community and worry he has no medication to deal with epileptic seizures.

They said they have not heard from their son and don't know if he's dead or alive.

"I watched the interview with the Webb family and my heart went out them," Bernard said. "I mean I'm a parent, as well. I really hope that Landon reaches out to someone to let people know that he's OK." 

The Community Services minister said her department and the Department of Health have worked with the Webb family for many years and will continue to do so.

"We just don't let people leave a facility without options being offered and a case plan moving forward," Bernard said. "That's simply not how it's done in the province."

'This situation requires immediate attention'

But Brenda Hardiman of Advocating Parents of Nova Scotia expressed frustration with the minister's comments.

"She shouldn't be defending the department and their processes at this point," Hardiman said. "We all know it failed the family."

Hardiman is urging the department to use whatever resources it has to locate the 25-year-old.

"Let's look for Landon, find Landon now and look at the processes later," she said.

Her comments were echoed by the Progressive Conservative MLA for Pictou East, Tim Houston.

"This situation requires immediate attention and compassion," Houston said. "The minister must take this more seriously and take action."

Houston called the minister's comments cold comfort for the Webb family and urged Bernard to do whatever she can to raise awareness about Webb and get the public engaged in finding him.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now