Nova Scotia

Man shot by police charged with attempted murder

The Serious Incident Response Team is looking for witness after police shot an armed man on a Dartmouth ball field on Thursday night.

Christopher Cockerill, 35, of Dartmouth facing a slew of charges following Thursday's confrontation with police

The 35-year-old man was taken to the QEII with at least one gunshot wound. (Courtesy of Susan Dodgson)

A man who was shot Thursday evening by police on a Dartmouth ball field is facing a slew of charges including attempted murder.

Christopher Cockerill, 35, was shot by police shortly after 7 p.m. while they tried to arrest him near Prince Arthur Junior High.

Police had gone to the Cockerill's apartment on Gaston Road to charge him with an earlier break and enter.

In a release, Halifax Regional Police said officers were invited into the Cockerill's house. When they tried to handcuff him, he started to fight back and resisted arrest.

Cockerill then drew a knife and tried to stab one of the officers before fleeing the apartment with the knife, heading towards a wooded area, police said.

"The suspect was subsequently located in a field behind Prince Arthur Junior High School and during the course of trying to arrest him, a patrol officer, who perceived an immediate threat to his safety, shot the suspect," said police.

In addition to the attempted murder charge, Cockerill is also facing a slew of other charges including three counts of assaulting a police officer with a weapon, uttering threats, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose, resisting arrest, escaping lawful custody, break and enter, and possession of stolen goods.

Nova Scotia’s Serious Incident Response Team is investigating the shooting, and asking witnesses to come forward.

The Serious Incident Response Team -- or SIRT -- investigates all serious incidents involving the police in the province, regardless of whether there is an allegation of wrongdoing.

"I’m sure some people were disrupted by it, obviously. We understand people did observe the incident so we are going to be following up with them to determine exactly what they saw," said SIRT director Ron MacDonald.

"This was a circumstance that took place in a public place, a large field where on the far side of the field there appeared to be many witnesses taking part in some ball games. We need to talk to those persons."

Cockerill remains in hospital. After he's discharged, he will be remanded into custody.

He's scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court on Tuesday.