Defence will not call evidence in murder trial of Jimmy Melvin Jr.
Melvin is charged in the death of Terry Marriott Jr., who was shot several times while he slept in 2009
The defence in Jimmy Melvin Jr.'s murder trial will not be calling evidence, the 13-member jury was told Monday as the case resumed in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Halifax.
Melvin has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the Feb. 20, 2009 shooting death of Terry Marriott Jr.
Marriott was shot multiple times as he napped at a friend's home in Harrietsfield, N.S.
The jury is expected to return to court Wednesday at noon to hear closing arguments and Justice Jamie Campbell's instructions.
The panel was told to bring an overnight bag because it will sequestered once deliberations begin.
Crown witness said Melvin was the shooter
Over the last 3½ weeks, the jury heard from several Crown witnesses. But only one of those people, the Crown's star witness and police informant, Derek MacPhee, pointed the finger at Melvin as the shooter.
MacPhee admitted to the court that he's lied to judges and police several times in the past.
Earlier in the trial, he testified that he drove Melvin to and from the murder scene on a four-wheeler. He said he heard five bangs after Melvin entered the home. He said both men went there armed with guns.
Marriott's blood was found on MacPhee's jeans. Gunshot residue was also found on MacPhee's hands and face.
MacPhee escaped prosecution in the case after signing an immunity deal in exchange for his testimony against Melvin.