Nova Scotia

IWK shooting accomplice sentenced

An accomplice in a brazen shooting outside a Halifax hospital has been sent to prison.

An accomplice in a brazen shooting outside a Halifax hospital has been sent to prison.

Matthew James Murphy was sentenced Thursday in Nova Scotia Supreme Court for his part in the ambush on Jason Hallett.

Murphy received five-year sentences for conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder, but they are to be served at the same time.

Murphy was a passenger in one of the vehicles that stalked Hallett outside the IWK Health Centre on Nov. 18, 2008.

Jeremy Alvin Leblanc ordered the hit on Hallett, a member of a rival gang, but Aaron Gregory Marriott pulled the trigger.

Several bullets were fired.  Hallett was hit once in the wrist while sitting in his Jeep Cherokee outside the hospital. He had just visited his spouse and newborn.

Four men tracked Hallett's movements and laid their ambush plans over their cell phones. Police, suspecting Leblanc was a drug leader, bugged his phone and car and recorded conversations among the four that night in a wiretap.

Hospital security cameras captured the whole thing.

Wrong place, wrong time

Murphy represented himself at the sentencing Thursday. He told the judge he was a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had no idea that his companions Leblanc, Smith and Marriott were planning to hunt down and try to kill Hallett.

Justice Kevin Coady agreed that Murphy may not have known all of what he was getting into when he jumped in a Ford Mustang with Leblanc to smoke a joint and get something to eat.

But Coady said Murphy became part of a conspiracy to commit murder when he took the cell phone from LeBlanc and helped the others locate their target in the busy hospital parking lot, just before Marriott got out and shot Hallett — leaving him wounded on the ground.

Leblanc was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder. He was handed 10-year sentences for each charge, but he's serving them at the same time.

Marriott was convicted of attempted murder and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Shaun Ryan Smith, who drove Marriott, was sentenced to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit murder.