House saved from Greenwich structure fire
A feed storage facility in the Annapolis Valley was destroyed by fire today, but a nearby house was saved.
The 2.5-storey facility went up in flames just before noon in Greenwich, near Wolfville.
Firefighters arrived to heavy black smoke, with flames rising more than nine metres.
"The wind was blowing to the west and about 70 feet from the building was the house. So when our first trucks arrived our major concern was the house, so we trained our first hoseline on the house itself," said Dave Miller, Greenwich's fire chief.
The wooden structure also housed a small art gallery in its basement.
The house was saved from the fire, Miller said, but four windows were blown out from the heat of the fire.
"We sprayed water on the house to cool it off so it wouldn't ignite," he said.
The cause of the fire isn't known, Miller said.