RECIPE: Vegan pot pies with a savoury vegetable filling
Try this holiday recipe by Nova Scotian YouTuber Liv B, made especially for CBC
If you're looking for a meal to warm up your friends and family this holiday season, Olivia Biermann has the recipe for you.
"This is the perfect plant-based, cozy and comforting holiday meal," says Biermann about her tofu pot pies. "It's really great because you can double the recipe if you need to to feed a larger crowd."
Olivia Biermann, known as Liv B, started her vegan YouTube channel in 2015.
Now, the recipes she whips up in her Bedford, N.S., apartment are making their way around the world. Biermann's channel has nearly 632,000 subscribers.
Join Liv B for an Instagram Live Q&A on @CBC_EastCoast on Tuesday, Dec. 18 at 6:30 p.m. AT. Send your questions for Liv to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video by Kristen Brown and Jane Nicholson.
Tofu Pot Pie
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups diced potato
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup cubed extra firm tofu
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable broth
1 package vegan puff pastry
(4) 10 oz. greased ramekins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large pot on medium heat, add oil and onion and cook three minutes until translucent. Add potato and carrot and cook six minutes. Add tofu, peas, sage, thyme, parsley and cook two more minutes.
3. Sprinkle flour evenly overtop and stir to combine. Slowly add the broth, stirring to combine and simmer for about five minutes until thick.
4. Divide evenly into ramekins.
5. Roll out the pastry and cut into four equal pieces. Place the pastry overtop each ramekin and trim the excess, pinching the edges so it doesn't spill over.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.