Nova Scotia

Heavy rains flood parts of province

Heavy rains overnight in the province caused localized flooding in parts of Nova Scotia Sunday morning.
Flooding in Truro has closed some streets and breached dikes are threatening to flood other areas. (CBC)

Heavy rains overnight in the province caused localized flooding in parts of Nova Scotia Sunday morning.

There are reports of flooding in the Truro area, an area that saw heavy flooding two weeks ago after heavy rains.

Several cows huddle on the remaining patch of grass in a flooded field in Shubenacadie. (Angela MacIvor/CBC)

The heavy rain has stopped but run off from the Salmon and North rivers continue to push water into the community.

Truro's East Queen Street heading out to Salmon River is closed, as well as the Park Street bridge. 

The dike the near the Cobequid Educational Centre has been breached, threatening to flood the high school. As a result, Lorne Street all the way out to Marshland Drive and North Street are blocked.

Water has also breached the dike by the Colchester Legion Stadium in Truro and closed the subway rail line between Truro and Bible Hill.  

A dispatcher with Truro police said luckily the high tide had passed before the flooding started, otherwise the flooding could have been much more severe.  

Road crews were on Highway 102 by Halifax Stanfield International Airport Sunday morning warning drivers to slow down as they approached pooling water on the road.

There were also reports of flooded basements from the community of Nine Mile River down to Lower Sackville.  

Marvin Leyte, who lives on Matador Court in Lower Sackville, said he had nearly a metre of water in his basement, as did a few of his neighbours.  

"I looked in the basement," said Leyte, "I've got three feet of water, brown water."  

He said the storm drains in the area couldn't handle the downpour, causing water and sewer backup.

He said this is the second time in 13 months he's had a flooded basement, and the third time in 12 years.  

"The water was shooting out of the manholes anywhere between eight and 10 feet in the air, the manholes just couldn't actually handle the water," Leyte said. "It was like you would see if it was a broken fire hydrant."   

He said he and his neighbours are going after the city to fix the flooding problem.  

"Something, they've got to do something to solve the problem," said Leyte.

"They need to find out what the problem is because 13 months ago I had over $40,000 worth of damage and here I am back in the same boat again."