Halifax stadium study on fast track
A Halifax regional councillor was furious Tuesday when his motion to re-consider a detailed study for a proposed stadium that could seat 15,000 people was derailed.
Halifax's Chief Administrative Officer, Richard Butts, signed a contract for the phase two study on Monday — one day before Timberlea-Prospect Coun. Reg Rankin's motion to overturn the decision could be debated.
Rankin was infuriated. "Our options were reduced — taking away the option that we wanted to go back and look at that," he said.
But Butts said council approved the study and asked for it to be completed by December.
"And it's just not within the latitude of a public servant to second-guess council in their direction or anticipate that they might change their minds at a later date," he said Tuesday.
The study was approved in a close vote last month, just before council went on a four-week break. During that time, the job to do the study was advertised. There were a number of bids and a Toronto firm was selected.
This study will look at a possible site, detailed design and estimated costs.
The tight timeline is because Halifax has to decide if it wants to be part of Canada hosting the FIFA 2015 World Women's Soccer event.
The city spent almost $100,000 on a phase one report on the stadium.
The stadium would likely need funding from all three levels of government, but Premier Darrell Dexter said last month that the province can't commit to it. Dexter's comments left Rankin and others saying the study was not necssary.