Nova Scotia

Halifax skydiver missing in Utah

A Halifax man has disappeared in Utah and his family fears for his safety.

A Halifax man has disappeared in Utah and his family fears for his safety.

David Brown, 37, has been teaching at a skydiving school at Moab, a small town in Utah, for the past two months.

His sister and parents last heard from him Wednesday and Brown hasn't shown up for work or updated any of his social media sites in almost a week.

Brown has lived in the U.S. for ten years, but his family members still live in Halifax and Fredericton, N.B., and are pressing authorities to find him.

Wendi Tekamp, Brown's sister, is searching social media sites for information about her brother from her Halifax home. She said he appears to have left suddenly and was not planning to be away.

"All of Dave's personal credentials, belongings, remain untouched in his place of residence, including significant amounts of cash, his credit card, his green card, his passport," she said Tuesday.

"He literally has disappeared with the shoes on his feet, the clothes on his back, in the middle of the desert, without any of his base-jumping gear, his skydiving gear. Without a vehicle, without a bicycle. So that raises great concern."

'Hopefully, he's going to come back'

Clint MacBeth, a Moncton man who owns Skydive Moab, has been rooming with Brown and said he had no idea where his friend had gone.

"I've been rattling my brain till three o'clock in the morning every day and I cannot come up with anything. Hopefully he's sitting in a hotel in Moab ... and just getting away, just running away for a while," he said.

"Hopefully he's going to come back, but I really don't know.  [I hope] he's just out, taken off for a few days and coming back."

Police search comes up empty

Brown's family filed a missing person report with Moab police on Saturday and have called Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs. Utah police conducted a ground search on Sunday, but did not turn up anything.

Tekamp has also reached out to the skydiving community and they have responded. Some are sending small planes and a helicopter to do an aerial search around his home.

On Tuesday, Tekamp and her uncle were booking a flight to Utah to do whatever they can on the ground.

She said she has no idea what has happened to her brother, but she says he is resourceful and the family is hoping for his safe return.