Halifax man's charges dropped for info involving Jimmy Melvin Jr.: sources
Sources say Derek Thomas MacPhee was key witness in Terry Marriott Jr. murder investigation
The Crown has struck a deal with a Nova Scotia man in exchange for information about the killing of Terry Marriott Jr. — the man who notorious crime figure Jimmy Melvin Jr. is accused of murdering.
Derek Thomas MacPhee, who had been facing charges in an unrelated matter, has had those charges withdrawn as part of an immunity deal struck with the Crown, a spokesperson for the Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service told CBC News on Tuesday.
Melvin is accused of first-degree murder in Marriott's shooting death in February 2009. Police arrested and charged Melvin on the weekend, and his first court appearance on the matter was Monday.
The same day the murder charge was before the courts, the Crown withdrew all charges against MacPhee.
MacPhee, 34, was one of three men arrested and charged in June after a violent home invasion in Upper Sackville. RCMP said at the time that two men broke into the home, tied up a man and his wife and their 13-year-old child. The robbers fled with stolen items.
The charges against MacPhee and his alleged accomplices included breaking and entering, robbery, unlawful confinement and assault with a weapon.
Sources told CBC News that MacPhee is a key witness in the case against Melvin.
MacPhee was being held in the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Burnside. Sources said MacPhee was removed from the jail just before police arrested Melvin, who is now being held in Burnside awaiting his next court appearance.
Melvin is due back in court Sept. 8 to set dates for a preliminary inquiry.