Halifax crews return to Lucknow St. construction site after stop work order
Nova Scotia Department of Labour says investigation will continue for site at 1122 Lucknow St.
Construction crews are back to work at 1122 Lucknow St. in Halifax, after a week-long stop work order had been issued to allow for an investigation into the causes of a structure collapse.
"After a structural analysis of the building and a safe work plan for demolition was completed, the order was lifted late last week," said Chrissy Matheson, spokesperson for the NS Department of Labour.
Lively's Construction is on site removing the debris. Workers say it appears the collapse occurred while crews were installing the concrete floor.
On July 20, the half-built wooden addition collapsed, trapping and injuring one worker who was later rescued by fire crews. The concrete walls and wooden framing had been built before the collapse.
Crews are now taking the larger pieces from the previous structure, such as the trusses and the framing, and hauling them to another site where it will be measured and inspected. The rest will be thrown out.
"The department is conducting a full investigation into the actual cause of the collapse and to determine if proper training, equipment, procedures and supervision were in place," said Matheson.
The owner of the building is a numbered company. Local developer Clark Wilkins is one of the directors. Wilkins bought the property, complete with a development permit, in January.
Wilkins also directs Metro Premier Properties, a Dartmouth-based development company. The price on Red Door Realty's listing for the property was $1.2 million.
The department of labour is still investigating and could lead to charges.