Food tampering reports come from Annapolis Valley, Bridgewater
Nail found in potato salad at Woodville community barbecue
Potatoes containing metal objects continued to turn up in food tampering incidents in two different parts of Nova Scotia over the weekend, police reported Monday.
Kings District RCMP announced it is investigating an incident where a finishing nail was found in a potato salad at a community barbecue in Woodville on Sunday. No one was hurt in the incident.
- Suspected food tampering continues in Halifax with 2 more cases
- Potato tampering incidents reach Halifax after nail found in spud
- Nail found in Yarmouth potato sparks police warning
RCMP said the potato salad was made by Kings Processing in Middleton, which is working with investigators to determine the source of the potatoes. Police have the nail and the partially eaten meal.
On Saturday, Bridgewater Police received a complaint from the Bridgewater Superstore reporting that a customer turned in a potato containing a needle.
The potato, the bag in which it came and the needle were seized by police. The bag was labelled "Farmers Market Russet Potatoes" and is similar to others seized in Atlantic Canada.
The customer was not injured.
There have been numerous incidents in the past month involving metal objects found in potatoes and one in carton of eggs.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency issued an Atlantic Canada recall for some Loblaws and Strang's Produce potatoes.
Numbers of incidents grow
The list of food tampering incidents reported over the past month includes:
- May 18 (Montague, P.E.I.): Metal object found in a potato bought at Superstore.
- May 18 (Tabusintac, N.B.): Nail found in a potato bought at a Co-op.
- May 19 (Antigonish, N.S.): Nail found in a potato bought at Superstore.
- May 19 (Nigadoo, N.B.): Nail found in a potato bought at Inter Marché.
- May 20 (Barrington Passage, N.S.): Nail found in a potato bought at No Frills.
- May 21 (Tabusintac, N.B.): Nail found in a potato bought at a Co-op.
- May 23 (Brigus, N.L.): Nail found in a potato bought at Dominion.
- May 23 (Halifax): Nail found in a potato by employee at Quinpool Superstore.
- May 26 (Yarmouth, N.S.): Nail found in a potato bought at Giant Tiger.
- May 27 (Corner Brook, N.L.): Sewing needle found in a potato bought at Dominion.
- May 28 (Halifax): Nail found in a potato bought at Giant Tiger.
- May 28 (Dartmouth, N.S.): Razor blade found in a carton of eggs bought at Alderney Market.
- May 30 (Bridgewater, N.S.) Needle found in potato from a bag purchased at Bridgewater Superstore.
- May 31 (Woodville, N.S.) Nail found in potato salad made by Kings Processing in Middleton.
To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.
By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.
Become a CBC Account Holder
Join the conversation Create account
Already have an account?