Nova Scotia

Bus garage next to Hants North Rural High School destroyed by fire

The Chignecto Central Regional School Board says classes will resume Wednesday following a fire that completely destroyed a bus garage near Hants North Rural High and Kennetcook District School.

Fire contained and the take down of the structure has begun

Hants County bus garage fire


5 years ago
Bus garage burns to the ground next to Hants County school on Tuesday. 0:29

Classes at Hants North Rural High School and Kennetcook District School will be back on Wednesday after a fire at a bus garage adjacent to the school led to it being evacuated Tuesday afternoon.

The Chignecto Central Regional School Board says the take down of the structure has begun.

The school board says the area around the fire site will be off limits to students and staff. They say there will be no parking around the back side of the school. Students are being asked to take the bus or to carpool to school Wednesday. 

Debbie Buott-Matheson, a spokeswoman for the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board, said from what she can tell, the fire broke out in a half-ton truck parked just outside the bus garage.

Numerous local fire departments responded to the fire. (Blair Rhodes/CBC)

"We thought things were well in hand," she said.

Instead, the fire grew in size, and eventually destroyed the garage.

The blaze started during the noon hour, Buott-Matheson said. Thick clouds of smoke billowed over the area. An older school bus being worked on inside the garage was also destroyed in the fire. 

A pickup truck parked outside the garage caught fire, which then spread to the garage. (Kevin Isam/Facebook)

Firefighters responded, the school was evacuated and then the elementary students were given the go-ahead to return to class.

A new evacuation order was given at around 2 p.m. and staff began busing between 250 and 300 students from the school to the local fire hall, Buott-Matheson said.

No injuries have been reported.

Buott-Matheson said the garage is 45 feet by 25 feet, and typically used to do repairs on school board vehicles.

The school was evacuated and students were bused to the local fire hall. (Blair Rhodes/CBC News)
Firefighters are battling a blaze at a bus garage next to Hants North Rural High and Kennetcook District School. (Blair Rhodes/CBC)

With files from CBC's Blair Rhodes and Anjuli Patil


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?