Nova Scotia

Fire at Fairview apartment building

A fire forced all tenants of a Fairview apartment building from their homes Wednesday night.

A fire forced all tenants of a Fairview apartment building from their homes Wednesday night.

The Halifax Regional Fire Service says the building is unsafe and they don't yet know when residents will be allowed back.

Tenants told CBC News the fire broke out at 15 Mandaville Court just after 5:30 p.m.

"There was some smoke coming from my bathroom, so I shut the door and I went out into the hall and there was smoke all through the hallway, so I called 911 and police and fire came and we tried to get everyone out," said Mike Megeney.

Adam Henderson lives down the hall from where the fire started.

"I just walked into my apartment from getting the mail," said Henderson, who used to be a volunteer firefighter.

"I heard someone yell 'Grab a hammer' and I ran down the hall, I got my hammer out, and just beat the wall, pulling insulation out, couldn't find it, and then a wire blew up and everyone just ran," Henderson said.

Firefighters say all the tenants got out of the 24-unit building safely.

"A fire started in the wall from unit 103 out into the hallway in the ground floor of the first floor. It extended up into the ceiling and the floor of the second floor and then spread throughout the length of the hallway and a little bit into a couple of the ajoining units and then also up into the third floor," said Gary McCurdy, a platoon chief for Halifax Regional Fire Service.

Ignacio Piedrahita said the fire started in his apartment, he said a landlord was working under his sink fixing a pipe at the time.

"We have yet to complete our investigation ... but it looks like it was purely accidental," McCurdy said.

 

 

 

now