Nova Scotia

Dog dies, another seriously ill after ingesting poison

Two dogs became seriously ill, and one died this week after eating rat poison that had been left near a walking trail in the Bridgetown area.

Rat poison left near walking trail in Bridgetown area

Two dogs became seriously ill, and one died this week after eating rat poison that had been left near a walking trail in the Bridgetown area.

Veterinary technician Jody MacAleese was able to save one of the dogs.

She said leaving rat poison in a public place is irresponsible.

"It’s a real concern for our pets and our local wildlife that such a poison would be used so irresponsibly. Anything that comes into contact with that substance will become ill and die if not given prompt medical treatment," she said.

MacAleese also said it’s up to dog owners to keep their pets on a short leash, or close by and watch out if they're eating anything suspicious.

"Just make sure that your dog is either leashed or directly beside you. Unfortunately this substance is used so carelessly by the public that [pets] can come into contact with it around houses, or on public trails such as this," she said. "So it’s just to make sure that dog owners are very vigilant about what their animals are coming into contact with."

This is not the first time a person’s carelessness has resulted in the death of a Nova Scotia pet.

Last month, a Lunenburg County family’s story gained national attention after their dog strangled to death in a careless hunter’s trap.

At the beginning of March, a Bridgewater family put out a call to ban foot and snare traps after their pet dog was mistaken for a coyote and killed.

now