Demolition of hoarder's home in North Sydney put on hold
CBRM labelled the Campbell Street bungalow a health, safety and fire hazard
The demolition of a house in North Sydney is on hold pending a court hearing in July after its owner, a self-described hoarder, was granted a temporary injunction last month.
The Cape Breton Regional Municipality labelled the bunglalow on Campbell Street a health, safety and fire hazard, and issued a demolition order in January. It said the house was chock-full of rotting garbage, animal waste and mould.
Since then, the municipality has granted Sylvia Dolomont several extensions so she could clean up the property. Coun. Earlene MacMullin, who represents District 2, said while the cleanup was started it was not finished.
"The extensions were just continuously being granted, but enough work was not being completed to warrant it," she said.
"It was just going on and on and it's difficult for the neighbourhood ... there was a lot of garbage outside the home."
No more extensions
Dolomont was notified in mid-May that there would be no more extensions and the house would be torn down.
That's when she applied for a court order to stop the demolition and was granted a temporary injunction.
A hearing to determine the fate of the house will be held in Sydney on July 27 in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.