Nova Scotia

Dartmouth fire caused by discarded cigarette

A "carelessly" discarded cigarette in a wooden planter box started a fire that damaged two homes in Dartmouth Sunday, say fire officials.
Two homes involved in fire on Lindenwood Terrace in Dartmouth Sunday. (Yvonne Colbert/CBC)

A "carelessly" discarded cigarette in a wooden planter box started a fire that damaged homes in Dartmouth Sunday, say fire officials.

The fire started in a single family home, but damage spread to the homes on both sides of the property.

Three dozen firefighters responded to the blaze on Lindenwood Terrace.

The Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service classified the fire as "accidental."

now