NDP Dartmouth East candidate drops out of race over offensive comments
'I regret my behaviour and I want to take full responsibility for my actions,' says Bill McEwen
An New Democrat candidate in Dartmouth, N.S., has stepped down after a media report about inappropriate statements he made online in the past.
Dartmouth East candidate Bill McEwen issued a statement Monday saying he regrets his behaviour and wants to take responsibility for his actions.
The statement followed a CTV Atlantic report about sexist content on a website McEwen hosted and his use of derogatory language to describe people who are gay.
"I apologize for my past actions and believe that I must be accountable to my community and the residents of Dartmouth East for inappropriate statements I made and supported in the past," he said in the statement.
"Sexism, misogyny, and homophobia are pervasive within our culture. We must work hard to combat these, and other forms of oppression within our communities, and within ourselves."
Online history haunting
McEwen becomes the second candidate to step aside after past social media comments came to light.
The Liberals dropped Pictou East candidate Matt MacKnight a week ago over similar inappropriate social media commentary.
McEwen did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CBC News.
McEwen's name will remain on the ballot even after he withdraws as a candidate because nominations have closed, Elections Nova Scotia said Tuesday. It is too late for the New Democrats to run a replacement candidate in the district because the nomination deadline passed last week.
Dartmouth East is a highly sought-after riding because Independent MLA Andrew Younger is not reoffering this election.