Nova Scotia reports 3 new COVID-19 cases, possible exposure on Toronto-Halifax flight
New cases are not related to the outbreak in New Brunswick
Nova Scotia has identified three new cases of COVID-19 in the province's central zone.
Two of the cases are related to travel outside of Canada, and the third case is a close contact, according to a release from the Department of Health and Wellness. The individuals have been self-isolating.
The release said the cases are not related to an outbreak in New Brunswick.
A spokesperson with Nova Scotia Public Health confirmed that the new cases are related to a possible exposure of COVID-19 on a flight from Toronto to Halifax last week.
Passengers on Air Canada Flight 626 on Sept. 30, which departed Toronto at 9 p.m. and landed in Halifax on Oct. 1 at 12:14 a.m., may be at risk, the health authority said in a news release Saturday.
Passengers in rows 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and seats D, E and F are more likely to have had close contact, the release said. Those passengers are asked to call 811 for advice.
Anyone on the flight who was exposed to the virus may develop symptoms up to and including Oct. 15. All passengers should monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 until that date.
The three new positive cases were discovered among 743 tests that were completed by the Nova Scotia Health Authority on Friday.
Nova Scotia now has five known active cases as one person has recovered from the virus. One person remains in hospital in intensive care.
So far, the province has had 100,542 negative test results, 1,092 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths.
The latest numbers from around the Atlantic bubble are:
- New Brunswick reported 20 new cases on Saturday with 57 active cases in the province. Nine new cases are related to an outbreak at a special care home in Moncton. Three other cases were identified in the Moncton region. Seven new cases are related to an isolated outbreak in the Campbellton/Restigouche area. One new travel-related case was identified in the Fredericton region. There are three potential exposure sites to COVID-19 in Moncton, at the Costco Optical Centre, the St-Hubert restaurant and the McDonald's restaurant on Morton Avenue.
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported three new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday. All three individuals are under the age of nineteen, have been isolating and are related to a previously identified case. There are nine active cases in the province.
- P.E.I. reported no new cases on Tuesday. The province has three active cases.
Despite the increase in cases in New Brunswick, a spokesperson for the Nova Scotia government said Friday the province has no intention of changing its border protocols.
Anyone with one of the following symptoms of COVID-19 should visit the COVID-19 self-assessment website or call 811:
- Cough or worsening of a previous cough.
Anyone with two or more of the following symptoms is also asked to visit the 811 website:
- Sore throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Runny nose.