34 people in N.S. hospitals with COVID-19, 618 new cases
There are an estimated 5,117 active cases in the province
The number of people in Nova Scotia hospitals with COVID-19 has jumped to 34, including four people in intensive care.
That's a jump from the 25 people who were in hospital on Thursday, which included three in ICU.
Nova Scotia reported 618 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, and estimates there are 5,117 active cases of COVID-19.
Of the new cases, 429 are in the central zone, 77 are in the western zone, 64 are in the eastern zone and 48 are in the northern zone.
Hospital outbreaks and visitor restrictions
Several hospitals have reported outbreaks, including the Halifax Infirmary, Dartmouth General, the Victoria General site of the QEII Health Sciences Centre, St. Martha's Regional and New Waterford Consolidated. The outbreaks are affecting fewer than 10 patients at each facility, according to a news release from the province.
The health authority announced Friday it is implementing new restrictions on visitors at one hospital, the Colchester East Hants Health Centre, because of increased COVID-19 activity.
Starting immediately, in-patients cannot have visitors, except one support person per day for the following circumstances:
- Palliative care and other patients nearing end of life.
- Patients receiving medical assistance in dying.
- Children under 18 seeking treatment and/or admitted to hospital.
- Labour and birth.
- Outpatients, including patients arriving at the hospital for emergency and ambulatory care clinics, appointments or procedures who need support to receive care due to physical, intellectual, cognitive and emotional conditions.
- Patients requiring support for critical treatment decisions such as organ transplantation, initiation of hemodialysis, and at the discretion of the clinical team.
Atlantic Canada case numbers
- New Brunswick reported 682 new cases on Friday, and Premier Blaine Higgs announced he has tested positive. There are 45 people in hospital, including 21 in intensive care.
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported 431 new cases Friday and one new death. There are now 1,746 active cases in the province. There is one person in hospital.
- Prince Edward Island reported 175 new cases Friday, with eight people in hospital. There are 814 active cases.