Chimney fire forces White Point Lodge evacuation
2011 fire gutted famous hotel
People were forced to evacuate the main hotel of White Point Lodge in Liverpool, N.S., on Tuesday night because of a chimney fire.
The chimney that draws smoke from the hotel's famous fire place caught fire around 6 p.m. The beach-stone hearth was one of the only things left standing after a 2011 fire ravaged the famous Nova Scotia attraction.
"We're not aware of what caused it at this point. We're deferring it to the fire marshal to let us know based on their inspection," said marketing manager Donna Hatt.
"We're still assessing the damage to the chimney itself."
The hotel served dinner outdoors.
The 83-year-old White Point lodge was destroyed on Nov. 12, 2011 after a fire ripped through the main building of the historic hotel. It was considered a terrible blow to the local community and region, throwing more than 100 employees out of work.
In 2012 the Canadian Automatic Sprinkler Association said it was disappointed sprinklers weren’t installed at the rebuilt lodge.
At the time owner Robert Risley said the lodge met all requirements with an "excellent" fire safety system, including steel and fireproof construction as well as a fire alarm system.
According to its website, White Point Beach Resort began as a private hunting and fishing lodge in 1928 and has had several expansions since it opened.