Charges dropped in street hockey accident
Charges have been dropped against a North Preston, N.S., man who was involved in a street hockey accident that seriously injured an 11-year-old boy.
The Dartmouth boy was transported to hospital in critical condition in November after suffering head injuries. He was hit by a van near the corner of Irving and Franklyn streets as he was retrieving a ball that had gone across the road.
At the time, Halifax Regional Police said the van kept driving but was located shortly after with the help of witnesses.
A 49-year-old man had been charged with failing to remain at the scene of an accident and failing to provide reasonable assistance to someone who's been injured in an accident.
On Thursday, Crown attorney Rick Hartlen said he reviewed eyewitness statements and decided not to proceed with the case.
"[The driver] felt some kind of bump but given the weather conditions — specifically, the sun involved — he didn't see anyone and all the evidence was that this was an accident that occurred in a split second and appeared to have been unavoidable from a driver's perspective," he said CBC News.
"It was fairly clear that the circumstances were such that this was an accident that, while tragic, was not one that should attract criminal penalty. We don't prosecute people who we don't believe committed the offence as charged and that's why the charges were dropped."
The mother of the injured boy was at Halifax provincial court on Thursday and said she was upset with the decision. She told CBC News that although her son is walking and talking again, he will be dealing with the effects of the accident for some time.