Cash-strapped exhibition sheds some acts
The provincial 'ex' is 70-years-old
The Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition in Truro will include fewer musical acts than in the past as organizers try to keep the event's deficit under $1 million.
Organizers said this year's exhibition, which starts Tuesday, will roll out the traditional cattle shows and midway rides, but instead of five nights with paid entertainers there will be only one.
Volunteer board member Steve Karrel said it's a sign of the times.
"This year we have had some cancellations and they are budgetary in nature. We are trying to keep our expenses to a minimum because we have huge deficit here at the Exhibition," he said.
Last year the opening parade hosted 90 floats, but this year it was cancelled. Karrel said no one volunteered to step in after the organizer was injured.
"It's an event that I remember as a child. At exhibition time you know the weather is going to change and there will be a parade, so we want to make sure we have that back next year."
The organizers are battling a dwindling attendance, fewer bets at the Truro Raceway and wet weather.
"If we have sunshine for five days we know that we will have a large attendance. If it rains all week it is very tough to get people to come out in the rain."
This year the paid musicians have been replaced with an amateur talent show.
Karrel said future musical acts depend on attracting bigger crowds.
The exhibition, which turns 70 this year, runs Tuesday to Saturday.