Nova Scotia

Baddeck, N.S., couple found dead in Mexican hotel

The bodies of a Canadian couple have been found at a hotel in Mexico’s Mayan Riviera, a spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa confirmed to CBC News.

Charles and Dorothy MacKenzie were to attend daughter's wedding later this week

This promotional image of the Playacar Palace in Mexico's Mayan Riviera shows the resort where the bodies of a Canadian couple were found. (Palace Resorts)

The bodies of a Canadian couple have been found at a hotel in Mexico's Mayan Riviera, a spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa confirms to CBC News.

"Canadian consular officials in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to the family and friends," François Lasalle wrote in an email.

The bodies of Charles and Dorothy MacKenzie were found Monday in a whirlpool at the hotel. (Edgar Olivares/Por Esto)

The couple have been identified as Charles MacKenzie and his wife, Dorothy, of Baddeck, N.S. They were in Mexico to attend their daughter's wedding, which was due to take place Thursday, a family friend told CBC News. The bodies were found on Monday.

The Associated Press, quoting an official in the prosecutors' office, said the couple was found dead at the Playacar Palace Hotel near the resort city of Playa Del Carmen. The official, who is not authorized to be quoted by name, said the couple was found dead in a whirlpool spa. 

The AP quoted the official as saying there were no signs of violence and that autopsies indicated the man died of a heart attack and the woman died of asphyxia by submersion.

An aerial view of the hotel. (Google Earth)

She said the deaths appeared to be accidental and linked, suggesting the man's heart attack may have somehow caused the woman to drown.

A spokesman for the hotel told the Canadian Press the deaths are still under investigation.

David Rubeo dismissed earlier media reports that suggested the couple had been electrocuted in the hot tub of their room.

"The room was perfectly fine. All the equipment was working perfectly," he told The Canadian Press. "What the family mentioned was a heart attack."

Rubeo said the couple's family was still staying at the hotel and was being assisted by hotel staff.

"We are treating them as our own family," he said, noting that staff were helping the Canadians deal with local authorities.

"All the group is very calm, in the best way they can be."

With files from The Canadian Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.