Nova Scotia

Bedford high school construction delayed

Construction of the new Bedford high school was put on hold Thursday for a short time because of citizen complaints about noise and dust.

Blasting exceeds noise levels

Construction of the new Bedford high school was put on hold Thursday for a short time because of citizen complaints about noise and dust.  

The city has issued a stop work order for blasting at the site on Innovation Drive near the Research in Motion building. The blasting, which started earlier this week, has been taking place each night at suppertime.

Bedford Coun. Tim Outhit said he's received several calls in the last week from people complaining about noise and dust.

"Well, one gentleman called me to say there was a huge dust cloud coming down the street. He lives on the Hammonds Plains Road," Outhit said.

"And other people have told me it sounded like a major thunderstorm, only there were no clouds in the sky at the time."

The city investigated, he said, and found the blasting did exceed noise levels on two occasions.

The city is now working with the contractor to find a solution.

"It appears that the blast — the underground blast — that we're seismographically monitoring are fine," Outhit said.

"But it appears that the air shocks are exceeding and there was one complaint about a big dust cloud over the Hammonds Plains Road, so that would indicate that the rubber mats aren't being used. We're going to be encouraging them to use those mats."

Blasting should resume at the Bedford site in the next day or two.

The new school will house Grades 9 to 12 and will replace Charles P. Allen High, which could be converted into a junior high school. The new school is set to open in the fall of 2013.

now