Nova Scotia

6 escape fire in Amherst duplex

Two families escaped unscathed after a fire ripped through one half of a duplex in Amherst, Nova Scotia Friday night, according to the Canadian Red Cross
A mother and her three boys escaped their burning Amherst home Friday night, according to the Canadian Red Cross. (Jessica Doria-Brown/CBC)

Two families escaped unscathed after a fire ripped through one half of a duplex in Amherst, Nova Scotia Friday night, according to the Canadian Red Cross.

The fire on Christie Street was called in around 9 p.m.

After a mother and her three boys were safely out of the building, they warned a man and woman in the other unit of their duplex who also made it out safely.

The Red Cross said the duplex is less than a block away from the Amherst fire hall. The fire was put out, but it caused smoke and water damage to the building.

A neighbour told CBC News the fire started when one of the boys was playing with a lighter near oil paint in the duplex's basement. He then tried to extinguish the flames by throwing a towel over the fire.

The family ran over to the neighbour's home without coats and boots, reported the CBC's Jessica Doria-Brown.

All six people are now staying with family elsewhere in the community. The boys, who range in age from four to eight-years-old were given teddy bears for comfort.

now