Yukoners film hair-raising experience in electrical storm
Electric charge usually a final warning before lightning strike
Aeden Greer was hiking with Nigel Stubbins in preparation for a sheep hunt. When the two got caught in a hailstorm on a rocky mountaintop, they suddenly felt charged with static electricity.
Both men say their hair was standing up.
"We started feeling a tingle as soon as we were in the storm. I felt like I had mosquitoes in my hood. I could hear the buzzing going on underneath my hat," Greer says.
The electrical sensation "was neat and then it started to hurt. It felt like I was rubbing my feet together and touching the door knobs. And I was constantly getting shocked. It was a constant feeling, it wasn't an individual zap."
Greer says there wasn't a place to run for cover and so the men walked back to the ATV.
'Lucky' not to have been struck
During the storm Greer filmed himself with his smartphone. The video has screeching static noise, as electricity interferes with the device.
"I am sure if it was nighttime you would have seen it, the electricity coming off me," he says.
Usually this type of electrical charge can be a final warning before a lightning strike.
"He told me that (buzzing) is the last sound you'd hear before getting struck by lightning. It's unbelievable. I feel pretty lucky because — what's the reason we didn't get struck? It's amazing."
Lightning kills an average of 10 Canadians a year and seriously injures another 125.