North

More than 2 households can gather in homes, says Yukon govt, but it's not recommended

The Yukon chief medical officer of health says it's still recommended that private indoor gatherings remain limited to two households — but starting this weekend, it's not mandated.

This week, the territory announced several loosened restrictions that come into effect on the weekend

Catherine Elliott, Yukon's acting chief medical officer of health, says keeping private home gatherings limited to two households is still recommended as a best practice. (Steve Silva/CBC)

Dr. Catherine Elliott, the Yukon's chief medical officer of health, said Friday it's still recommended that private indoor gatherings remain limited to two households — but starting this weekend, it's not mandated.

Health officials announced during a news conference Wednesday that restrictions will loosen on Saturday. That includes no longer limiting indoor organized gatherings to 25 individuals, though venues will still be limited to 50 per cent of capacity. Masks are still required.

In a news release Friday, the territory says indoor private gatherings are no longer limited to two households, but it's still recommended as a best practice.

"Updated modelling shows that the circuit breaker public health measures have been successful in flattening the case curve, but we are not out of the woods yet," Elliott stated.

"The new omicron variant is causing global concern and its impacts are not yet known. We must continue to be diligent, follow public health measures, practise the Safe 6, wear a mask and get vaccinated."

Elliott also recommends that travel between communities, and between communities and Whitehorse, is to be avoided until further notice.

The recommendations could change depending on COVID-19 cases or if risks increase significantly, the release says.

Last month, the government declared a state of emergency in response to an "alarming increase in COVID-19 cases and widespread community transmission."

At the time, new public health measures were introduced based on recommendations of the chief medical officer and were expected to be in place until at least Dec. 3.

The loosening of measures this weekend is in response to "an encouraging decrease in active cases and daily case counts," Silver said Wednesday.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now