North

Yukon confirms 3rd case of COVID-19, says territory's top doctor

Yukon's chief medical officer of health said test results were received Wednesday morning confirming the territory's 3rd case of COVID-19.

Health officials say test results received Wednesday morning confirm 3rd case

Dr. Brendan Hanley, Yukon's chief medical officer of health, confirmed a third case of COVID-19 in the territory Wednesday. The person was tested on Monday and Hanley said the results were received Wednesday morning. (Steve Silva/CBC)

Yukon's chief medical officer of health announced a third confirmed case of COVID-19 in the territory on Wednesday.

Dr. Brendan Hanley said the individual had travelled outside Yukon, but within Canada. The person was tested on Monday and Hanley said the results were received Wednesday morning.

Hanley did not say where in Yukon the person is from. He said the person has mild symptoms, and is doing well at home.

According to the government's website, 517 Yukoners had been tested for COVID-19 as of Wednesday. Results are still pending from 102 of those tests.

Hanley, along with Health Minister Pauline Frost, held a briefing Wednesday morning. 

They also announced at the briefing that the territory's hospitals are suspending all non-urgent or routine services as of Thursday. That includes lab tests, x-rays, CT scans, physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Specialist appointments are also suspended.

Yukoners are being asked not to go to the hospital for non-urgent care or treatments right now.

Not closing borders at this time

The government also announced that the territory's health care insurance plan will be extended to cover Yukoners who cannot return to the territory because of the pandemic. Typically, Yukoners are required to live in the territory for 180 days to be covered by the health plan.

Officials are not closing Yukon's borders at this time. Both Nunavut and N.W.T. have closed their borders in recent days.

Watch the full press conference here:

On Sunday, Hanley announced the territory's first two confirmed cases of COVID-19. He also announced new measures aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

The government also opened a new respiratory assessment centre this week, at the Yukon Convention Centre in Whitehorse.

It is open seven days a week, from 10 a.m. to noon for people aged 65 and over who have chronic medical conditions, and from noon to 4 p.m. for anyone with a medical referral.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.